Monosyllabic Pedantry

Monday, January 23, 2006

Hardwoods



Update: Saturday 2:46 PM. The floor is coming along. I have now moved some of the furniture on to the finished portion, in order to make room. That has also allowed me to get internet access back up and running!
Here's a tip for the readers: Don't finish a row on a 45 degree angle wall. You need a 90 degree angle to tap the last planks into place. Fortunately, I work with a guy who has a metal shop in his barn. On monday, I will make up an orthographic drawing in AutoCad for him and he will make me a specialized tool.
I must have slept wrong last night, because my lower back is killing me and causing me to walk around like Mick Jagger. It is not conducive to heavy lifting.






I should be installing my new floor, but it's already 8:45, and I'd just get a little of it in, so rather than risk damaging the dangling beginnings, I will procrastinate and begin it tomorrow. I have everything prepared and in place:

The carpet's gone (obviously)
I pulled all the little nails and staples out of the plywood.
Bought all the flooring (obviously)
Bought a table saw and a fine tooth blade.
Cleared most of the furniture out of the room.

The flooring says you're supposed to leave it for 48 hours in the room where it will be installed. I assume, to prevent a huge expansion (or contraction) after you have it in place. I'm going with 24 hours, which I doubt is necessary, but it's another excuse to procrastinate.

I've discovered that the base trim is cemented into the fireplace. May the Chupacabra visit the family of the man that installed the fireplace without removing the wood trim. I had to cut it at the edge of the cement and then chip it back with a wood chisel. It's going to be a bitch to get that to all work right when I'm done.
Fortunately, I have a new table saw, just dying to install new trim.

15 Comments:

  • I'm sorry. Is that a lacy delicate doily on your mantle?

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 7:34 AM  

  • You got problem with the doily, lady?

    Before you throw stones, how 'bout you post some candid shots of your livingroom?

    By Blogger Exador, at 8:04 AM  

  • You come stand in my living room wearing nothing but that lacy doily and I'll take and post all the candid shots you want.

    I'm the girl who was hoping you'd wear a dress to dinner. What do I care if you have a doily on your mantle? I just think it's funny that a man so vehemently opposed to the dress idea has such a large doily. That's all.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 9:32 AM  

  • In all seriousness, is that a sample of the floor there on the right? If so, that's going to be really nice, bringing out some of the richer browns in the fireplace.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 9:34 AM  

  • I never said I was vehemently opposed to the dress idea. Maybe I'm just saving it for a big birthday present.

    As for pics of me in a doily, I'll quote a friend of mine:

    Okay, I can see how that'd be fun for you, but I can't see how that'd be any fun for me. No, I think it's far better if the [doily picture] reaches Bigfoot levels of legendary status, with people claiming to see it, people hoping to see it, and people hiding behind my garbage cans trying to see it.

    If you got all my wit and photos of the [doily picture] here at [Monosyllabic Pedantry], why would anyone ever bother to visit me?

    By Blogger Exador, at 9:46 AM  

  • If you watch The Killing Fields, near the end of the movie, where they show an entire field full of skulls and body parts, that's kind of what B's living room looks like if you removed one of the skeletons and replaced it with a live stoner.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 AM  

  • God, how I wish that weren't true.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 11:18 AM  

  • So, Boy Scout, are we ever going to hear how putting in the floor went? Or was it so traumatic you've given up on blogging?

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 6:56 AM  

  • Get off my back.

    I'm still working on it. It's going to be a week, at least.

    Mrs Schwartz came over last night and we went out to dinner, so no work was done on the floor.

    My computer is temporarily disabled at home, what with the dicombobulating of all the furniture in my livingroom.

    As soon as I get enough of the floor in, to move the giant computer armoire back into position, I'll post an update picture.

    By Blogger Exador, at 7:12 AM  

  • Oh, now, don't be sore. I was just poking fun.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 7:49 AM  

  • Aunt B., of course you beat me to this.

    I just love that there's the picture, so we have a great visual of a little Exador running around very quickly in various stages of floor instalLation like the alphabet dancers. HA!

    By Blogger Plimco, at 9:03 AM  

  • Plimco, I had expressed my desire for an army of Exadors at one point and he laughed at me. I bet he's wishing he could give me a call right now and ask me to send numbers 2-5 back to him to help install the floor.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 9:20 AM  

  • Plimco,

    Be sure to include a lot of cursing and yelling in that visual.

    By Blogger Exador, at 10:06 AM  

  • It looks really good, very rich and warm.

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 1:37 PM  

  • Just like me.

    By Blogger Exador, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats