Monosyllabic Pedantry

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Good and bad distractions

We had a pretty busy weekend. On friday, we saw Brian Regan at the Tabernacle. We've been huge fans of his for years, especially the Missus. He was great, as always. The great part about the Tabernacle is that it was originally...wait for it...a Tabernacle. It's got all sorts of cool little rooms and lounges. It's mostly painted black inside now. The other great thing is that there is a bar every 20 feet. We were in the balcony and there were three, huge bars, just in the balcony.
The only downside was, as usual, running the gauntlet of homeless guys who swarm like moths whenever there is a show. We all had to wait in line to get in and the bums just go up and down the line. Finally, a woman in front of us screamed, and I mean screamed, at the guy to GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM US. Pretty funny stuff.

On Saturday, we went to see White Christmas. It was playing at the Fox. I had no interest, but I knew it was one of Mrs Schwarts favorites, so I surprised her with tickets back in August. The show was at 2pm. We parked around the corner, on the street. I walked around to her side of the jeep as we talked. Just then, she said, Did you lock it? I had just enough time to look down and pat the outside of my pocket, when I heard the shunk sound and saw her slam the door. I was looking through the window, at the keys in the ignition, as the door locked.
So, what the hell. We're stuck. On the way to the theatre. I called a friend and explained the situation. He was kind enough to agree to get our spare set of keys and meet us after the show.
The best part of the show was being at the Fox. My cellphone went dead, so I had to call Mike later on to establish that he'd be there.

The Fox has real, antique phone booths in the mens' lounge, with floor to ceiling glass doors, and the calls are free! How cool is that?

Well, the musical theatre was terrible, of course. I was waffling between falling asleep and trying to get a better look at the impossibly long legs of the chorus girls. Finally, Mrs Schwartz leans over to me and says, This is not very good. Wanna leave? Yes! So we went out and just wandered around the little alcoves of the Fox and talked to the people we ran into until it was time to meet Mike out front.

One other thing; some woman brought her baby! What an idiot. She had to keep getting up to take her screaming brat out to the lobby, only to return and repeat the cycle again. Grrrrrr!

2 Comments:

  • Surely Georgia has better theatre to offer than White fucking Christmas.

    That being said, I do like that "Sisters" song. Especially the part where they clear their throats when they insinuate...well you know what else they insinuate that they may share...

    Babies do not belong at the theatre. Period.

    It is also really really lame to get up and walk out in the middle of a show. We can see you. We have eyes. I'm going to pretend that you were conscientious enough to wait until a scene change before you "excuse me"ed yourself down the line of seats creating a total hub bub in the balcony.

    By Blogger Plimco, at 11:49 AM  

  • You'd need to see where out seats were: NOSEBLEED. So far up, in fact, that we moved to the empty seats at the end of the row; therefore, no "scuse me"'s needed.
    The exiting stairs were only a few feet away.
    I could've Hula'd may way out the door and the performers would be none the wiser.

    By Blogger Exador, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats