Monosyllabic Pedantry

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Whatever

I've never been a big New Year's Eve guy. Maybe it's because I spent so many years working in bars on New Years. It's not the same when you're working. You get tired. You can't relax. It's no fun.
The first bar I worked in, the bar was going out of business. No one bothered to get the special license required to stay open past midnight. The cops came in about 11:00 pm and asked to see the license. When we couldn't produce it, they said they'd be back after midnight. About 12:30, they came in, picked up the first few beer bottles for evidence, and started arresting the bartenders. My sister was working as a bartender. She jumped over the bar and acted like she was a customer, but it didn't do any good. They arrested her anyway. All the bartenders were lined up at the door, like a greeting line, hands cuffed behind their backs, saying good night to the customers as they left.
I'm going to bed soon. We both still feel under the weather, but better. I haven't stayed up to watch anything drop at midnight, in many years. To me, it's just another day.

So Happy Whatever to those of you who are celebrating. May this year be better than the last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats