Monosyllabic Pedantry

Sunday, September 10, 2006

My 911 post

UPDATED:

It was Frank Miller on NPR.
Here's the line I was trying to remember:

For the first time in my life, I know how it feels to face an existential menace. They want us to die. All of a sudden I realize what my parents were talking about all those years.
Patriotism, I now believe, isn't some sentimental, old conceit. It's self-preservation. I believe patriotism is central to a nation's survival.

Read the whole thing.


*************************************************

In honor of 911, I have read the 911 comission report (585 pages) and watched the discovery channel special that pretty much tracks it.

My conclusion? Holy shit, Bill Clinton, did you drop the ball on that one.
From ignoring one attack after another, to letting the lawyers hamstring every counter-terrorist effort. You completely fucked that up. You worried about things like your own popularity, to the detriment of actually being a leader. This reinforces my idea that the Clintons basically looked at the presidency as their own personal Tonka toy.

And it's not that "we just didn't know any better". Every indicator was there.

I'm curious to see ABC's movie tonight, to see how it jives with other sources.

By the way, many people will comment on America's re-hashing of the 911 attack. My response to this is as follows: It's a part of the American mindset, that we will analyse this attack over and over again. We will disect every aspect of the attack; the strengths, the weaknesses. Our strengths, and failures.
I think this tendancy is one of our greatest strengths because we will strive to learn as much as we can from this. That is what makes us stronger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats