Monosyllabic Pedantry

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Picking on Witnesses

I was at my computer, playing a game, and Mrs Schwartz was on her laptop, also playing a game. We had the front door open. Mrs S told me there were people on the porch. It was two Jehovah's Witnesses.
Another great part about having a big dog is that he keeps the witnesses at a safe distance.
Most people hate it when they come by. For me, it's entertainment. I went out on the porch and debated the inconsistencies of their superstition.
I think I opened with something like, "Have you ever played telephone? How could you think that a story that was retold for hundreds of years, finally being written down by a bunch of men with a serious political agenda, then being rewritten countless times over the next 1500 years, has anything to do with the original? We've got people who dispute if Elvis died the way it's recorded, and that happened 30 years ago, and you think the Bible is the word of God?"
They were friendly. They kept trying to change the direction of the discussion, rather than answering my points. Finally, the guy said, "Well, I wish you felt otherwise." and we parted amicably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats