Monosyllabic Pedantry

Monday, January 08, 2007

Cheap Ass Builders

It drives me nuts, that as begin a project around the house, I am confronted with this issue: If my builder had spent an extra dime on this, my life would be so much easier.
I'm currently trying to install a new ceiling fan in my bedroom.
The old fan wobbled horribly when we moved in, ten years ago. Then I discovered that the mounting for it had an extra wide bracket for support (which had never been utilized). Once I added four screws into the ceiling, it stabilized.
The new fan doesn't use that, so I had to crawl up into the attic to see what the deal is. The plastic outlet box is mounted onto a thin piece of alluminum bracket, which stretched between the 2x4's. Why the hell the builder didn't just put a 2x4 between there to bolt to, is beyond me.
Now I have to clear away the blown-in insulation and mount a real bracket there.
My attic varies between zero and about 5 feet. It's largely filled with ductwork. I hate trying to navigate in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats