Monosyllabic Pedantry

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Training to Kill is Expensive!

I've been meaning to get back into martial arts. I got a black belt in Oyama karate many, many (many?) years ago. I've been tossing around the idea of trying out a more grappling-oriented style, like jiu-jitsu or aikido, mostly because I'm too old and lazy to do all that cardio, but also to try something new.
I stopped by Knuckleup Fitness tonight, because they just opened a branch near my house.
It's a small place, filled with a boxing ring and about a 1000 long, heavy bags.
The place was packed with people!
The guy behind the desk looked like all those guys you see in ultimate fighting: short, muscley, buzz-cut.
When I asked the cost and schedule, he explained to me that it depends on how much training you take. Everybody comes in for an "evaluation class" where they go through the different styles and then sit down with you to decide which one is right for you. (Huh? How about I take what I want and pay you to train me?)
The basic "fitness kickboxing" is $59/month. That's no martial arts training; just fitness. From there, the price goes up, topping out at $109/month, if you want to take everything and, I guess, jump in the Octagon. I can't imagine anybody spending that kind of dough otherwise.

I had looked at an aikido school near my work, but I was shocked at the $55/month pricetag. Now, that's starting to look like a good deal.

6 Comments:

  • Fifty five bucks a month for aikido instruction?

    That sounds like a deal.

    Most gyms charge $40 per month with any instruction/training costing extra.

    By Blogger Sarcastro, at 10:16 AM  

  • I've decided to go for the aikido school. I checked it out on friday.
    The thing is, it's a small, informal school, which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. That's how my dojo was, where I got my black belt.
    It was on the second floor of an American Legion Building. My Sensei was a retired IBM'r and an ex-Navy man. Tough as nails, no bullshit kind of guy. He was great.
    We'd go down to the Legion bar after working out.
    This place is the same way.
    I'm stopping by on Monday; I'll probably start on Wednesday.

    By Blogger Exador, at 4:08 PM  

  • Simmer down, Bruce Lee. My kids have got their black belts, too.

    From what I can tell, that means you know how to kick someone in the nuts.

    By Blogger Sarcastro, at 4:09 PM  

  • Don't make me go all Steven Seagal on your ass.

    Wait. I've got to get a few classes in first.

    By Blogger Exador, at 5:40 AM  

  • Steven Seagal on my ass?

    How is getting fat and starring in direct-to-video movies supposed to frighten me?

    And for at least one of those things, you clearly don't need classes.

    By Blogger Sarcastro, at 8:18 AM  

  • Shut up or he'll make you drink a can of Whoop-ass. (Tm)

    By Blogger bridgett, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats