Monosyllabic Pedantry

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Double-Edged Sword of the Internet

While Mrs S was in Raleigh on business, I downloaded a bunch of ELO on iTunes. I love me some ELO. They combine the complexity of a string section with a good beat and a hook that's more addictive than crack. It's like 70's cotton candy. (Oh, Oh, Telephone Line. Give me some time. I'm living in Twilight)
While home alone, I discovered that Zachary LOVES to sing along to ELO. I guess he gets that from me.
We were demonstrating this new hobby to Mrs S last night, when she remembered a cheesy 70's song that was a favorite of hers. Gilbert O'Sullivan's Get Down.
She wanted to hear a clip of it, so I started searching for mp3s of it. I clicked on a website that was one of those alt.binary.blah.blah sites.
As soon as I did, my virus protection started popping up boxes.
The fuckers loaded a Trojan downloader and dumped a bunch of shit into my computer.
I spent the remainder of the evening digging it out, but there were still a couple programs in there this morning. I started another scan when left for work. I may have to get more out tonight.

I disconnected from the web, in an attempt to prevent any info from being transmitted, but realistically, if it could do it, it would have done it in the first millisecond.

My Norton's Antivirus is up to date, and the virus is from 2001, so hopefully I'm ok.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats