Monosyllabic Pedantry

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The least Exciting Halloween Post

Atlanta is not the best city for Halloween. I don't know, maybe that's the way it is everywhere but New Orleans and Key West. For one thing, it's too corporate. All the bars have all the same corporate crap. In addition, it's become known as another "All Hallows Night for roadblocks".
Having it fall on a Tuesday was the last nail in the coffin. (Get it?)
No, Mrs Schwartz wrestling with Eve's Curse was the last nail.

Last Sunday, we had some people over. After a few drinks, I could hear Mrs Schwartz telling the daughter of a friend of ours that they should go to one of the big, corporate Haunted Houses in town. I hate these places. They are $25. You have to wait in line for an hour. They last 15 minutes, if you're lucky. It's a bunch of hack actors and college students jumping out at you under fog and strobelights. No thanks. I'll watch MonsterVision with some gin.
So when I heard her say they were going to do that, I thought, "Have fun, suckers. I ain't going."

Last night, I come home from work.
Mrs Schwartz: Hurry up. You don't have much time before we have to go.
Exador: I'm not going to that Haunted House. You said you were going. I said no such thing.
Mrs Schwartz: But you have to go! I can't go alone. I don't want to go!
Exador: Too bad. You said you'd go. I didn't.
Mrs Schwartz: But you never said you WEREN'T going.
Exador: I never said I WAS either.

This went on for 30 minutes. She finally said, "That's it! I'm putting my foot down. You are going!"
Exador: Buuuulllllshit! I am not.
Mrs Schwartz: I can't believe you are not going when I have put my foot down. I have never put my foot down before.

Now, I know these people are consistantly unreliable. True to form, Mrs S watched, as the minutes ticked by without the girl arriving or calling. When 7pm hit, she said, "That's it. She's too late. I can now claim that it's too late for me to go. I'm off the hook."

Sure enough, she never called and never came over. We watched spooky movies. No kids came trick or treating.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats