Monosyllabic Pedantry

Friday, March 02, 2007

Does Anybody Value Freedom?

People just don't understand, or appreciate the value of freedom. Libertarians run into this all the time. "If you are against the War on Drugs, it's because you are a drug addict".
Why can't people understand that I am against the idea of freedom being unnecessary infringed?

This is coming up in Georgia in the form of two bills. The first is a bill to allow communities to vote on whether they want to allow beer and wine sales on sunday. The second is a bill to end the seatbelt exemption for pickup trucks.

Look, I wear my seatbelt when I drive my pickup, and I can buy a bottle of gin that will last me a week. What bugs me is that the government has no business telling me that I must wear my seatbelt or that I can't buy booze on sunday. It's just none of government's business.

What is so sad, is that the other side of these debates, and this is a large portion of the population, has no concept of this.

Their repeated mantra is:

"You are a fool to not wear your seatbelt."
"If you need beer on Sunday that bad, you're an alcoholic and you need treatment".

These are the same people that say,

"If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't care if the government spies on you".
"If you're not a criminal, you shouldn't mind registering your guns".

I just find it very depressing.

5 Comments:

  • Have you ever talked to a police officer (to complain about a loud party, ask directions, whatever), and wondered why he asked for your date of birth? That was so he could run a criminal check on YOU. Just because you talked to him. That disturbs me more than I can say.

    By Blogger rockygrace, at 7:11 AM  

  • If all goes well, soon you'll be able to buy a keg on Sunday, put it in the bed of your pickup, run the tap through the little sliding window, drive around, drink beer and gin and shoot your pistol all without wearing a seatbelt.

    I hope, in the name of all freedom loving Americans, that becomes a Sunday tradition for you.

    By Blogger Nashville Knucklehead, at 12:43 PM  

  • When that day comes, I shall load up the pickup as you describe, and begin a roadtrip to Nashville for BBQ.

    By Blogger Exador, at 7:55 PM  

  • I'm surprized that you don't place any of the blame on the influence, hell, control of the local churches. Georgia has weird alcohol laws, to be sure, but they are shaped by the distributors and the churches. I guess I'm saying that Govt is just the instrument of enforcement.

    Mack

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 AM  

  • I kindly direct you here:

    http://monosyllabic-pedantry.blogspot.com/2007/01/its-my-fault-for-moving-to-bible-belt.html

    My feeling is that money is the true root cause of this stupidity, but it wouldn't get off the ground without an ample supply of biblethumping lemmings.

    So yes, I do blame the churches too.

    By Blogger Exador, at 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats