Monosyllabic Pedantry

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I need more post-its

I have what is often called a 'single-tasking mind'. That means i'm very good at focusing very intently on one thing, but I really suck at dealing with multiple things at once.
Some say this is genetically encoded in men from bygone days; men, being hunters, needed to focus intently on the prey they were hunting, whereas, women, being gatherers, needed to take in a wide swath in order to see all the berries, etc., making women good 'multi-taskers'.
I guess it makes sense, but I don't really know.

What I do know is that I can't keep an idea in my head if a new idea comes along. I'm like a dog getting a new treat; I completely forget about what I was doing 2 seconds ago. This causes Mrs Schwartz (the queen bee of multitasking) all sorts of aggravation. She asks me to get her a glass of water as I go out to the kitchen. I come back without it. "Where's my water?" "Oh yeah, forgot."
I've learned that, when something pops into my head, I need to write it down immediately or I will forget it. Sure, I'll remember it later on when it pops into my head again, but that doesn't help much.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I don't know if it's a gender thing or not. I find that I can sometimes keeps twenty thoughts in my head at once and other times, I just need to immediately externalize every thought I have into a list. The more stressed I am, the more I need an external checklist to help me settle down and move through tasks in an orderly fashion without forgetting things. It also helps me rank tasks in order of importance and "time to completion" more easily.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:30 PM  

  • Oh baby! That's what I'm here for.

    If it wasn't for your single tasking ways, why.....I'd get more water!

    ha ha ha ha ha

    The Wife

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats