Monosyllabic Pedantry

Monday, March 05, 2007

Exador, Theatre Critic

Saturday, we went to see Spamalot at the Fox theatre.

If you haven't been to the Fox, check out this guy's cyber tour.

First things first. We were running late, so I dropped Mrs Schwartz off in front of the theatre and drove to a parking deck a couple of blocks away. As I was running from the deck to the theatre, I stepped on some cobblestones and twisted the shit out of my ankle. So there I am, now extremely limping, as I try to hurry the last block to the theatre. We go inside and find our seats. The show had not started yet. I limp back to the lobby bar and order a gin and tonic. When I try to return to my seat, I am blocked. The show was starting, and they held everybody until the end of the first song, as punishment.

Spamalot was good, but at least half of the show is just "Holy Grail". I found myself sitting there, thinking "I paid $60/ticket to see the Holy Grail?"

If you haven't seen Grail in a long time, or never seen it, it's very good. I won't spoil it because there are some very funny twists. (Get it?)

3 Comments:

  • I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but isn't Spamalot mostly the Holy Grail, but onstage? I mean, I know that's your criticism, but isn't that what it is--a stage adaptation of the Holy Grail?

    By Blogger Aunt B, at 2:39 PM  

  • It was billed, at least to me, to be a stage adaptation of Monty Python. I guess I didn't expect it to be 99% Holy Grail.

    By Blogger Exador, at 3:36 PM  

  • That theatre's purty. Faaaaaaan-CEE! Ooo. A bit too purty for my britches.

    But I like seeing theatre in spaces like that where there's this sense of ritual left to it, you know? Where you feel like you are seeing something in a sacred space. I like that.

    I hate musicals though.

    By Blogger Plimco, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter stats